Notes from a parish cat and his author Julie Mackenzie

My photo
I am Father Tom Fish, esteemed member of the religious team at Temptation of Christ Parish in the novels by author Julie Mackenzie. As to my background, I was invited into the rectory as a stray, laid on the charm, and was invited to stay, even honorarily ordained and no less spiritual than my sidekick Father Will. He dotes on me to high heaven and forgives all of my street cat proclivities, whatever the hell that means.

Friday, September 16, 2011

My Better Side

I heard a guy on the radio the other day say we men, or mencats, still haven't gotten in touch with our feminine side and need to do so.

Just in case nobody's noticed, I can be sensitive and sweet-tempered.

I even recite poetry:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Pigeons are tasty
Especially in stew.


There are those who say my life is a bed of roses





I even like lace on occasion






Not to mention a soft pillow with ruffles






Not all of us bench press. I like the smell of cologne. I knew one ladycat who really liked my eau de fur and would curl up in my spot when I walked away.

The question remains. Do I have a feminine side? Well, let's put it this way: when you snooze through life, you can never have too much lace.





--Tom

23 comments:

Marg said...

Oh Tom that poem is terrific. We think you have a little bit of a feminine side. Love the lace over your shoulder. Wishing you a fabulous day. Take care.

Mariodacat said...

Tom, you are just purrfect the way you are - mancat and femmiecat!

Hannah and Lucy said...

Tom we didn't realise what a great poet you are -
we've never eaten pigeon - does it taste like chickhen? We like your lace and ruffles - you are a romantic fellow.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

Admiral Hestorb said...

You are a pawsome poet Tom. Your Eau de Fur sounds intriguing..I wish I could get a whiffie of it. xxoo

Random Felines said...

We think you are in touch with both sides of being a mancat! And we loved the poem - mom said she was glad she wasn't drinking anything or it might have some out her nose (we think we would have liked to see that). MOL Have a great weekend.

Fluffy and Heather said...

The femmes of this world will appreciate your feminine side, Tom. You are right to embrace it! (And who ever said that lace was limited to girl cats, anyway?)

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

I too have a soft side and thats just great a mancat needs to be in touch with his feminine side I think. Love your pictures.. Hugs GJ xx

Brian's Home Blog said...

I loved your tasty poem too! I guess I have a feminine side, that's why I love my pink bed. Plus I am constantly in touch with my inner kitten! Happy weekend Tom!

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Your poem rules, Tom! I am kind of a tomgirl kitty myself.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Tom
my two brothers said you are an excellent poet!
We find it true that mancats are not afraid of their feminine side, we think it's because cats are superior and don't have to worry about ego.
:::hehehee::::
purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

Hey Tom,,,
Gabriel & Arrius here;
We sure do likez your poetry ^..^ , ^..^
we sure could go fur some of dat tasty stew too :))
Da girlz would like a whiff of your Eau de Fur :)))
Purrz ~

Cara n Crew said...

We're not fooled, Tom. We know you have a sensitive kitty-soul under your floof :-)

Pip, Smidgen, Minnie, Hollie

The Island Cats said...

We think it's okay to show your softer side, Tom.

meowmeowmans said...

Tom, we think you're mancatly, with just a hint of that feminine side. PURRfect, buddy!

Mr Puddy said...

I do have it too Tom !!!!
That's why my pawrents used to think I were a girl when I first visited them : ) I think that made us more cute..tee..heh
xox

Gattina said...

You definitively have a feminie side if you like to prepare pigeons in stew !! Don't forget to invite Rosie and Arthur !

Julia Williams said...

MOL, I love your poem!!! Poor pigeons though. =^..^= - I'm also very fond of Maine Coon cats. I had a cat, Gypsy, that I am 99% sure had some Maine Coon in her, and she was just gorgeous.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm following you now and hope you will follow me too!

The Whiskeratti said...

That is a pawsome poem! You are very talented.

Judi said...

I agree with The Whiskeratti - Pawsome!

OKcats said...

We like a mancat who is secure enough to embrace his feminine side - and lace is very classy!

Tamago said...

You are a mancat with sensitivity! You look great with lace. And you are such a talented poet! I love the part "pigeons are tasty, especially in stew" :-)

Cat Wisdom 101 said...

Tom, you are a trailblazer in the metrosexual mancat department. Come visit us on Monday when we will meow like a pirate.

Tooki said...

Hahaha...I like your (dark) poetry! That guy on the radio doesn't know cats -- ignore him.