Notes from a parish cat and his author Julie Mackenzie

My photo
I am Father Tom Fish, esteemed member of the religious team at Temptation of Christ Parish in the novels by author Julie Mackenzie. As to my background, I was invited into the rectory as a stray, laid on the charm, and was invited to stay, even honorarily ordained and no less spiritual than my sidekick Father Will. He dotes on me to high heaven and forgives all of my street cat proclivities, whatever the hell that means.

Monday, March 21, 2022

Penny's Eyes

Hi, furriends!

I've decided on this sunny Monday morning to make this blog post all things Penny.

I have some sad news. What makes it even sadder is there's nothing we can do about it. There's no cure, but at least Penny's life is not in jeopardy. It's just not visible to her anymore. Now she relies on her other senses besides her eyes. We've assured her that there's plenty of love headed for all of them.


As happens with a lot of Siamese cats I've heard, they can develop progressive retinal atrophy. What that means is she had begun to go blind when she was found wandering around in our yard. We tried to find the owner, as you might remember, but failing that, decided to invite her into our home. Slowly, she began to get used to Bridget, but I'm a different story. For some reason, I just charge in and that scares her. She hisses, but I take it the wrong way, enough for the housekeeper to keep us apart. At least for now.

The housekeeper says she must be completely blind after almost two years with us because she is bumping into things and doesn't play with the abandon she used to. I feel so bad. I wish I could do something. My own eyes are aging and it isn't a picnic.

Thought we'd let you know. This blog always gives us a chance to go into more detail about stuff, so that's a good thing. Facebook is limiting, yet more immediate. We've now shared both here and there.

Have a good Monday and rest of the week. Our snow is almost gone and I'm so happy with the spring warmth and doing some sun cuddling !!


12 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

Penny found the bestest place for her when she wandering into your yard, Tom!
Perhaps someday, you and she will be able to hang out together, however the housekeeper is doing a wonderful job of taking care of all three of you.
Happy Spring!

The Florida Furkids said...

We know you will all show Penny lots of love as she adjusts.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am sorry to hear that but know that Penny will get the very best care.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

penny; we R troo lee sorree; we noe thiz haz ta bee hard on ewe; but we all sew noe, mom and tom and bridget will set thingz ta ritez two help ewe out ~~~~~~~ewe due knot knead ta "see" R hugs......just feel em ♥♥♥

Brian's Home Blog said...

We know you ALL will take the very best care of sweet Penny and I'm so glad she's there with you.

The Island Cats said...

I’m sorry to hear Penny has gone blind but I’ve heard that blind cats adjust pretty well. Be good to her, Tom. ~Ernie

da tabbies o trout towne said...

sendin even MOR hugz yur way penny ♥♥♥♥♥

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

Knowing Penny will be getting lots of support and love in her home.

Cathy Keisha said...

The good thing about us cats is we adjust. Soon Penny will walk about and play as if she's sighted and that's a good thing. I'm not sending healing purrz cos she's not broken.

meowmeowmans said...

Well, we are glad that Penny is there with all of you. We know she is loved, cherished, and so well-cared for. Love and all good purrs to you, dear friends.

catladymac said...

Purrayers and Power of the Paw to all of you as you help sweet Penny adjust. We know you will take loving care of her !

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, but also very glad she's safe with you guys!