Notes from a parish cat and his author Julie Mackenzie

My photo
I am Father Tom Fish, esteemed member of the religious team at Temptation of Christ Parish in the novels by author Julie Mackenzie. As to my background, I was invited into the rectory as a stray, laid on the charm, and was invited to stay, even honorarily ordained and no less spiritual than my sidekick Father Will. He dotes on me to high heaven and forgives all of my street cat proclivities, whatever the hell that means.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Guise or Disguise?

A heavy question, boys and girls!

Because we don't react, people don't think we take in anything. So wrong, right?

Anyway, this weekend I heard this ridiculous debate between guises and disguises. This went on and on in the rectory den between Jack and Will. What's the difference? Even though I was napping behind Will's head, I finally became so disgusted with hearing about it, I mumbled, "Oh, shut up!" Will got the giggles and Jack wondered what that was all about. The younger priest said nothing.

Disguises, of course, is when we hide behind something and people don't know who we are. Like so:


You didn't know this was me at first, did you? Of course not. *wink wink*

Now, guise without the "dis" means...wait, I have to look it up cuz I forgot. Okay, let me get past the words groin and guinea fowl.and hackney. Now I've gone too far...

Here it is: guise means "assumed behavior." So the man was acting in the guise of a detective, although not a detective in reality. But, you knew who he was.

Anyway, I hope I'm on the right track relating all of this. The two priests mentioned the housekeeper and the graphics she's created around me. These, I think are guises since I'm not hiding:

Wolfie says: "Oh my, but red looks so good on you!"

Here I'm acting as one of General Washington's men:




And, here I am once again in disguise:



And, finally, there's always Lucy in disguise with diamonds..teehee:
(which is how the whole stupid conversation ended, with everyone laughing, including me!)

So, my friends, keep your ears peeled and have a great week. Don't eat anything that smells suspicious and look for those hands with long nails for a most heavenly scratch.

Blessings,
Tom

10 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your disguises sure gave me the giggles!

The Island Cats said...

Thanks for that, Tom. Now we know the difference between guise and disguise. Since we don't like wearing stuff...we'll stick with guise.

Eastside Cats said...

Rumor is, that John Lennon wrote "Lucy..." while on LSD...so, methinks you all were into the nip or some adult beverage when this conversation took place! Check out my post about Bob Dylan...and the use of 'extracurricular' stuffs!
https://eastsidecats.blogspot.com/2018/06/everybody-must-getcats.html

Colehaus Cats said...

Those two words are confusing, and thanks to you, we'll always remember the difference now!

Unknown said...

I never really knew the different between guise and disguise. Thanks to you, Tom, now I do! :)

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

You explained the difference very well, Tom.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

dood....we like de last dizguize de best !!!!! heerz hopin yur week a head iz a grate one !!!! ☺☺♥♥

Lone Star Cats said...

Luckily my momma grows her nails purrfect for scratchin!

Lola The Rescued Cat said...

Thanks for clarifying that! Sometimes we think our mom operates under the guise of an organized person.

meowmeowmans said...

Lucy in disguise with diamonds ... MOL!

Well done, Tom. Your explanation makes purrfect sense. :)