Notes from a parish cat and his author Julie Mackenzie

My photo
I am Father Tom Fish, esteemed member of the religious team at Temptation of Christ Parish in the novels by author Julie Mackenzie. As to my background, I was invited into the rectory as a stray, laid on the charm, and was invited to stay, even honorarily ordained and no less spiritual than my sidekick Father Will. He dotes on me to high heaven and forgives all of my street cat proclivities, whatever the hell that means.

Monday, April 2, 2018

Looking for Vesper

Hi, friends!

The Monday after Easter is just as important as those days leading up to it. Called Easter Monday, some people have it as a holiday. Others, especially back in the day, celebrated it as a day of "Wow! What just happened??"

Because I spent so much time in between pews, meeting and greeting parishioners - some I hadn't seen in quite awhile - I thought it would be a good time to check in with other church cats, beginning with one on the west coast.

In doing so, I found something that made me sit up, ears alert.

Vesper, a kitty at St. Mary of the Angels, Hollywood, California has faded out of sight. At Purr n Fur, (with a link under the kitty below) there's a section on church cats. It has an update that this kitty is no longer anywhere on the web.


VESPER (courtesy Purr 'n Fur.org.uk)

It's poof - gone.

We'll be looking into this further and let you know. It's our hope that Vesper has been taken in and is being cared for, perhaps having enough of the limelight. 

Meanwhile, those of you who are enjoying the holiday and are reflecting on its powerful message,  keep us in your prayers, too. 

Even when people don't have money when they dig deep into their pockets, they always have a prayer or two when they dig deep into their hearts.

Take care my friends.

Whiskers up,
Tom



11 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

Dang, I hope Vesper is okay, but it is a bit of a mystery.

pilch92 said...

I will add Vesper to my prayer list.

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

It is always a shock when there is a big buildup to a coming holiday and then the next day, bang, and it's over! Back to normal like nothing happened. That's why I like the whole 12 days of Christmas thing. I will quit rambling. Have a great week.

felinecafe.net

da tabbies o trout towne said...

dood.....we agreez....a prayer can go a lot ta help; mor often N knot ....even mor sew N cash moneez.....N we due hope vespurr iz aye oh kay ~~~~~~ ☺☺♥♥

Seville at Nerissa's Life said...

Please let us know if you hear any news 'bout Vesper. I'm purrin' everyone is okay. PURRS

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Oh no! Keep us updated. I hope he's okay :(

Ivan from WMD said...

Tom--curious, we visited the UK site as well as the church site. It's possible that Vesper earned her angel wings after such a long stay at the church. If so, we both know she has much company there. Thank you for telling us about this--we know of library cats but had never heard of church cats.

The Island Cats said...

We hope you can find out what happened to Vesper and let us all know.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I followed your link and as Vesper first appeared at the church in 1996 she would be more than 22 years old by now. I assume there is no longer any mention of her as she is most likely at The Bridge. Her FB page is no longer there either when I clicked that link.

Fr. Tom Fish said...

Thank you for finding out about Vesper. It's too bad there isn't a mention of her in memoriam, even..Heck, the folks at St. Mary of Redcliffe in England still speak fondly of their cat from the 1800s. I hope people around here don't forget me so quick. RIP Vesper. I guess nobody took your place, either. Don't people realize the Man upstairs has a special fondness for us? - Tom <3

catladymac said...

I too went to all the pages for Vesper. On one it alludes to a great deal of kerfluffle (my word, not theirs) in the church. She would be very old, so hopefully she is watching over all of us now ! Thanks for letting us know and for caring !