Notes from a parish cat and his author Julie Mackenzie

My photo
I am Father Tom Fish, esteemed member of the religious team at Temptation of Christ Parish in the novels by author Julie Mackenzie. As to my background, I was invited into the rectory as a stray, laid on the charm, and was invited to stay, even honorarily ordained and no less spiritual than my sidekick Father Will. He dotes on me to high heaven and forgives all of my street cat proclivities, whatever the hell that means.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Me, Vegetarian?

I love my kitchen. I even open cabinets if I can. They're like dark caves with cool smells.





I also like to find stray morsels of food where they're dropped and nobody notices but me. Humans always forget what lands on the floor. I notice big time and check it out. I have to do it quickly, though, the housekeeper keeps a spotless kitchen and that includes the floor.





Now, the reason I'm questioning whether I could have a little vegetarian in me is that this is a food toy that I like, one that somehow escaped her eagle eye. A small piece of sliced celery landed on the floor and I had the best time with it. Can you imagine?





I heard that celery is the neglected vegetable. It has a lot of heart benefits and is put into salads. Maybe it's good for me, too, crunching on it and all. I was told by the vet that I have a slight heart murmur. I didn't know hearts could talk.

So, furriends, cats cannot live by nip, stinky goodness or treats alone, so check out your own kitchen for hidden floor goodies!

Failing that, try this!!! Look at this beautiful cake that'll be at a book presentation today at the Portland Public Library! Is that a good likeness of me or what? I'm so excited! Oh, mom Julie? She'll be there, too, hehe! (but I totally intend to steal the show, just don't let her know. Shhhh!)




--Tom

***Not sleet, nor rain, nor gloom of day could keep Tom's fans from coming to see him and hear his story. It was a smaller group, but all things considered, the talk went well and we met some very nice folks. The cake was yummy. It was one of those one-layer desserts that made you feel only half as guilty :)

33 comments:

Mr Puddy said...

Mom said Yum for the Cake !
and Me start to walk to my kitchen to check out the hidden floor goodies!
Thanks for the tip, Tom ; )
xox

Fuzzy Tales said...

Yeah, our mom said YUM re: the cake too. LOL.

The only floor goodies we like are dropped bits of kibble or our Temptations. :-P

Hannah and Lucy said...

We always hang round Mum's feet in the kitchen in case any treats fall our way!
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

Everycat said...

Celery? Tom are you mad dear fella? Did you know that apes burn more calories actually eating celery than the celery provides? Far better to munch on cake (says our fat, cake loving ape) Seriously though, sorry to learn that you have a slight heart murmer. Oliver has one, it's not even a grade 1 says the vet so he isn't worried. Thank you for your Christmas greetings, we are sorry we didn't get around to visiting you over the holiday, but our Dad had a retina fall off and the other ape hasn't been able to get on the pc as much as she liked. We wish you, Mitty and all in the Parish, a Happy & Peaceful New Year

Luff from
Oliver & Gerry

Random Felines said...

not so sure about the celery, but mom doesn't like it so we won't get to try any. Tommy just waits for cheese.... MOL

Have fun at the book signing!

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Hey, I was just at the PPL. My nephew had a class project about deception in... well shoot I don't remember the title, but it was making facts work for what ever you wanted it to. It was really interesting. I didn't know you were in the neighborhood. Hope the ice doesn't cause you a problem!

Cats of Wildcat Woods said...

We scour the floor for goodies too! You never know what you can find!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Love that cake and all the best with the book!!! Oh yes, have a happy weekend too!

Whisppy said...

Love your description of the cabinets! Never thought of it that way.
Have a great weekend!

Cathy Keisha said...

Good luck on the book signing. Tom, we cats are carnivoires (sp?) which means we're Meat eaters. You can play with all those hippy vegetables, but NEVER eat them. *mumbles*don't tell anyone but I like cranberries in my kibble. As I was saying, cats are Meat eaters.

Julia Williams said...

Celery = blech! I think a teeny piece might make a good cat toy but as for eating it? Nah! You're so smart to open the cupboards. My cat Rocky is fond of doing that, and as a result I had to install baby-proof latches on the one where the garbage is kept. Have fun at the book presentation and share the spotlight, mol.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Forget the celery you have CAKE!!!

That looks so nommy Tom.

purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

Unknown said...

We don't gets the things that falls on the floor anymore. Cinnamon hoovers everything up!
Can me has a piece of cake please?
Kisses
Nellie

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

You wouldnt be the first kitty that likes veggies.. Not that my current kitties are interested.. but others have been.
I know you'll steal the show at the library! Good luck!

Sparkle said...

Since my human is the exact opposite of neat and clean, there is usually something of interest on the kitchen floor once she has been in there. Unfortunately it's the dog who usually gets there first.

Let us know how the book presentation goes!

Shaggy and Scout said...

We like to bat a grape around the floor sometimes then leave it for mom to step on with a shoeless foot...squash! Usually she'll squeal when she does it too! Heh.

The Island Cats said...

Tom, the food our mom feeds us has peas and carrots in it. And we eat them!! But we don't know about celery. Maybe if it's in some yummy food.

That's a great cake! We bet it was tasty!!

The Daily Pip said...

I kind of like sweet potatoes and carrots! Maybe I am a vegetarian.

Your pal, Pip

Old Kitty said...

Well done to mum Julie!! Huge congratulations with her book presentation and talk in the lovely Library!! The cake looks amazing!! Yay!

Awwww - celery is fabulous - it's definitely good for you! Enjoy it lovely Tom!!

take care
x

Mary Matthews said...

Congrats Tom and Julie on your Portland appearance! Okay, Tom, I'll take the celery instead of a slice of your cake:)

Marg said...

Tom, we love to clean up stuff off the floor. So we know how much fun that is. Don't know about celery though. That is a beautiful cake. Take care

meowmeowmans said...

What a great cake! And we are glad the Portland appearance went well. :)

Celery? You and Moosey could get together and do some damage at the salad bar, Tom. He loves lettuce!

Hugs to you, Julie and Mitty!

Jans Funny Farm said...

Perhaps you should have had two pieces so you could feel completely guilty? :)

Glad the presentation went well.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dog! If I lived nearby I wouldda SOOOO been there.

Gattina said...

Instead of cleaning the kitchen, your mom should leave this job to you ! I had a cat who loved green beans, but selerie ??

Tamago said...

Hi Tom, sounds like you had fun with celery! One of my kitties checks out things we drop on the kitchen floor, too :-)

Admiral Hestorb said...

Tom, beautiful cake and good luck with your book darling boy.

Mommy said I could use my angel sisfurs blog till mine is ready.

xoxoxo Katie

Unknown said...

Gorgeous cake, I think I'd still feel as guilty no matter how many few layers it had! Good luck with the book.

Clooney said...

Oh my that cake looks rather delish! But hey Tom, I agree with you about the celery, I loves it as well. It has the same effect on me as nip!

Sage said...

That's a pretty pawsome cake, Tom. Were there any crumbs left for you? Our Toby is the floor cleaner in our house--he doesn't leave anything for us kitties, but that's OK.

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

Hey Tom,
^..^ Gabriel here: hummmmm,,,, celery or cake, not much ov a choice if you ask me, i'm a cake man myself.... yummmmmm!!!! ^..^
Headbonkz dude ^..^
oh & mom sending you kissez xoxoxoxo :)

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

OMD, that cake looks yummy!!
I sure hope you got some :)

-Brandon

Takie said...

Wow that cake looks delicious... i think you are very cute cat hope you enjoy eating vegetable...


Dog Fence | Pet Solutions