Notes from a parish cat and his author Julie Mackenzie

My photo
I am Father Tom Fish, esteemed member of the religious team at Temptation of Christ Parish in the novels by author Julie Mackenzie. As to my background, I was invited into the rectory as a stray, laid on the charm, and was invited to stay, even honorarily ordained and no less spiritual than my sidekick Father Will. He dotes on me to high heaven and forgives all of my street cat proclivities, whatever the hell that means.

Friday, November 12, 2010

I Brake For Bookworms


Next week is Children's Book Week. There aren't that many children's books in the rectory, only a few for when we have visitors. They're mostly picture books with trains and little puppies. Not what we have in mind, at all.

You see, I highly doubt I would even exist if a certain author didn't have this thing for talking animals and bunnies in trousers. All of the animals in Thornton W. Burgess' little animal community--Blackie The Crow, Reddy Fox and Grandfather Frog--all became friends with their readers through books.

JRM: That's right, Tom. When I was growing up, my father especially talked about animals and their adventures. My grandfather gave him Uncle Wiggly Longears which he handed down to me. Maybe that's what inspired your special role at Temptation Parish, why you're a puss preaching the straight and narrow.

Tom: As long as I don't have to walk the straight and narrow, I'd never fit. Too fat. Hehehe!

JRM: Tom!

Tom: Okay, okay, a priest. That is a pretty important role.

JRM: You're not really a priest, Tom. The housekeeper just gave you the name Father Tom.

Tom: Can't I be an honorary priest? I forgive sins, don't I?

JRM: Well, you're in on the absolution and penances..

Tom: And...

JRM: You're in the rectory den with the holy water and nips..

Tom: And...

JRM: You officiate at weddings and funerals..so I guess you are!

Tom: Weddings I only dig if they throw catnip, and funerals I'm always afraid someone'll grab me and stick me in the coffin.

JRM: Oh, Tom!

Tom: Don't get any ideas. That's one adventure I can do without!

Hope you enjoy Children's Book Week with memories old and new!

12 comments:

The Daily Pip said...

Hey Tom,

If I ever get married (I am 13 so probably not going to happen), you can perform my wedding! This was great post and mama has many fond memories of the books she read as a child. I have a 4 year old human sister and she loves books, too!

Your pal, Pip

SeaThreePeeO said...

Oh dear, being trapped in a coffin sounds very scary!

Thomas O'Toole would like to assure you Tom, that 'those' are long gone.

Hannah and Lucy said...

We love your spectacles Tom - we bet you look very cute reading your books with them resting on your sweet little nose. We were wondering though aren't they a little large for you!?!

Gattina said...

Hope the children will read, they are a little lazy nowadays !

Team Tabby said...

There is nip in your rectory! We'll have to think of a way to invite ourselves over.

Mindy, Moe, BonBon, Cookie & Mike

The Florida Furkids said...

We think that coffin might be very dark and skeery!!

The Florida Furkids and Angel Sniffie

Brian's Home Blog said...

Books are a good thing...just not quite as good as nip! Y'all have a great weekend!

Katnip Lounge said...

Tom, we love books. They nail Mommy to the sofa for hours and we get TONS of rubbins. Bliss!

Bengal Duo ~ Zulu and Deene said...

Oooo I like bird books! Fangs fur sharing
Luna & Zulu

Mr Puddy said...

" Trapped in a coffin " that's scary though !
But I like the wedding part " throw catnip " must be FUN WEDDING : )

Marg said...

That is such a good idea to have a Children's book week. Our Mom loves books and reads all the time so we think it is important that children learn to enjoy books. Take care and have a great day.

Cathy Keisha said...

You can officiate at mine and Tuna Katt's wedding next year. That would be great. We pay in nip and tuna. Books are good but blogs are even better!